The Relation Between Lower Spinal Congenitalanomalies and Chronic Low Back Pain


 Raoof. R. Mirza

College of Medicine, University of Sulaimani





Abstract 

To find out the relation of lower spinal congenital anomalies (CA) to chronic low back pain (LBP "(back pain for more than 3 months': One hundred patients with chronic LBP in whom the cause had not been identified  were studied, found that 30 patients (30%) had some kind of CA in their lower spines, while in the other 70 (70%) there were no any identified CA. At the same time 66 normal people who had not suffered from back pain studied on the same standards, found that 19 (28.87%) of them had some kind of CA in their lower spines, while in the rest 47 (71.21%) there were not any evident CA. These figures give a conclusion that there is no definite relation between lower spinal CA and chronic LBP (p-value>0.8). 

Keywords :- Low back pain ( LBP) and congenital anomalies (CA) . 



References

1. M. Thompson M.D. , F.R.C.P (1993) : Rheumatic diseases collected reports 1954-1983, 3rd  edition by: The Arthritis and Rheumatism council for research in Great Britain and Commonwealth P 111. 
2. Adams J.C. and Hamblen D.L. (1995) : outlines of orthopedics 12'h edition, Churchill Livingstone, p 171,172,139,169,198-200, 199. 
3. Apely, A.G. and Solomonm L. (1993): A system of orthopedic and fracture, 7th edition, London: Butter worth, P375-376, 374,351. 
4. Hinck, Hopkin and Clark —1965 (Isadore Meschan: An Atlas of Anatomy Basic to Radiology 1st E. 1975). 
5. H. Ralph Schumacher & John H. Klippel & William J. Kooptnan (1993) : Primer on the Rheumatic Diseases, 10th E, P 276. 
6. Robin Mckenzie(1985): Treat Your Own Back, 3rd E, P1. 
7. G. Nuki, S.H. Ralston, R. Luqmani: Diseases of the connective tissues, joints and bones in the Davidson's principles and practice of medicine 18th edition, (1999) P 815-16 
8. Schniderman GA., Melain R.F., Hably M.F. , Neilson S.L., Northern California spine and Rehabilitation, Sacramento USA: Spine Aug 1995. 15;20 (16) 17614. 
9. . Lucey S.D., Grose R. , Department of surgery Brown Grey School of medicine: J-Pediatr-Orthop. Mar 1995 Apr; 15(2): 199-201. 
10. Heim-M; Marcovich-C: A rare cause of low back pain. Am-J-Orthop Mar. 1995; 24(3): 273-5.