Sorption Isotherm Phenomena in Cured Oriental Tobacco I. Water Activity Behavior and Hysteresis
Keywords:Sorption Isotherm Phenomena, Tobacco, Water Activity, Behavior, Hysteresis, Moisture
Abstractvaluable information can be obtained from the examination of moisture content of tobacco leaves in relation to environmental conditions, especially during the time course of handling. Moisture sorption isotherms of locally grown tobaccos were examined. Tobacco leaves of cultivars behaved differently in term of water activity.
Moisture sorption isotherms of midrib were higher than those of laminal. Temperature dependence of sorption isotherms were apparent. Hysteresis phenomena were distinct. Leaves were different in their hysteresis.
- Samfield, Max. , 1974a, "The drying of Tobacco", Part I. , Tob. Inter. , Aug. 16, P:38-40
- Samfield, Max. , 1974b, "The drying of Tobacco", Part II., Tob. Inter., Sept. 13, P. 50-54.
- Amin, Aumeed N.M., 1987, "Investigation of pattern of damages occur to locally grown tobacco leaves during manipulation. II. Evaluation of physical criteria" , Iraqi J. Agric. Sci. (Zanko), vol.5, No.4 P:25-39
- Amin, Aumeed N.M. , 1988, " Moisture sorption isotherms for cured oriental tobacco (nicotiana tabacum L. ) leaves ", Iraqi J. Agric. Sci. (Zanco), Vol.6, No.1 , p:25-37
- Rizvi, S.S. and Benado, A.L. , 1984, "Thermodynamic properties of dehydrated foods", Food Technol. , vol. 38, No.3 , P:83-92.
- Amin, Aumeed N.M. and Abdul-Rassol, Ebtisam, 1990, "The Dyring behavior of cured, oriental tobacco", Tropical Sci, Vol. 30, p:77-83.
-Iglesias, H.A. and Chirife, J., 1976, "Prediction of the effect of temperature on water sorption isotherms of food material", J. Food Tech., Vol. 11, P:109-116.
-Van Arsdel, W.B. , 1973, "Drying phenomena", Food Dehydration, 2nd Ed. Ed by W.B. Van Arsdel, Copley , M.J. and Morgan , A.I. , The Avi Publ. Comp. Westport, conn. , USA.
- Troller, J.A. , and Christian, J.H.B. , 1978 , water activity and food, Academic Press. N.Y. , USA.
- Hardman, T.M. , 1976 "Measurement of water activity , Critical appraisal of method", Intermediate Moisture Foods, Ed. By R. Davies, G.G., Birch and K.J. Parker, Applied, Sci. Publ. LTD , P:75-85
- Amin, Aumeed N.M., 1989, " Chemical kinetics approach for characterizing drying behavior of tobacco" , Basrah J. Agric. Sci. , Vol. 1, No. 2, P: 157-166.
Copyright (c) 1997 Aumeed Noori M. Amin
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.