(N, N, N’, N’-Tetramethy -p- phebylebediamine dihydrochloride) as a New Analytical Reagent for Spectrophotometric Determination of Iron (III). (Fadhil M. Najib & Nawzad N. Ahmad)
Keywords:Tetramethy, Phebylebediamine dihydrochloride, Spectrophotometric Determination
AbstractNew reagent N, N,-N,-N - Tetramethyl-pe phenylenediamine dihydrochloride (TMPDA-2HCl) was described for the determination of Iron (II) spectrophotometrically. Beer's Law was obeyed between (0.4- 2.4 ppm) Iron (III). Optimum conditions were : pH(2-3), λmax= 560 nm, 2ml (0.001M) reagent freshly prepared for final 25ml solution containing 10 to 60 μg [i .e. 0.4-2.4 ppm Fe(III)], color develops after 10 minutes and remains stable for three hours. Best Straight line drawn by the method of least square gave correlation coefficient of (0.999) between (0 - 2 ppm). At lower limit of Fe(III) determination (0.4 ppm), maximum error did not exceed 5% in the presence of accumulative interfering ions with coefficient of variation of 1.8% there values, for 2 ppm Fe(III), were less that 4% and 0.34% respectively. Average extinction coefficient was about (1.5 x 10^4 L.mol-1. cm-1). The Stoichiometry of the complex [ Fe(III) - R ] was 1:1. Interferences of 27 ions were studied for their tolerance levels. Only few ions interfered seriously which were Cu2+, Ag+, Zn2+, Sn2+, C2O42-, and F-.
- Abe. , S., T. Saito and M. Suda, 1986, "Simultaneous Determination of Iron (II) and Iron (III) in Aqueous Solution by Kinetic Spectrophotometry", Anal. Chim. Acata, Vol.181, P.203 - 209.
- Cardwell, T.J. , D. Caridi and R. W. Cattral, 1987, " The Spectrophotometric Determination of Iron (III) in a Mixed Solved", Anal. Chim. Acta, Vol. 193, P. 129-132.
- Najib, F.M., 1995, "3,4- Dihydroxyphenylacetic Acid as a Reagent for Spectrophotometric Determination of Total Iron", Iraqi, J, of Chem Vol.20 , No. 1 , P. 138-160.
-Matti, G. Y., F. M. Najib and M.A. Muhsen (Sent for publication).
- Hargis, L. B. and S. A. Howel, 1992, "Ultraviolet and Light Absorption Spectrometry", Analytical Chemistry, Vol.64, No. 12, P. 66R - 79R.
- Jeffery, G. H., J. Bassett, J. Mendham and R. C. Denney, 1989, Vogels Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis, 5th Edition, P. 457.
- Gaulcntt, R. and R.Boddy, 1989, Statistics for Analytical Chemists, Chapman and Hall.
Copyright (c) 1997 Fadhil M. Najib & Nawzad N. Ahmad
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.