A Flow-Injection Method for the Determination of the Total Iron using 3,4-Dihydroxybenzaldehyde
A home-made design flow-injection system has been described in a previous work. This system has been applied in the present work for the determination of total iron using the reagent 3,4-dihydroxybenzaldehyde (3,4-DHBA). Optimization of all conditions were as follows: λmax 440 nm., pH of the carrier stream(C.S) 8.8 and its flow rate with the reagent 1.1 ml.min-1, reagent concentration 0.001M and the Manifold length was 60cm. Optimum, linear range of the calibration curve plotted by the method of Least Square with any one of the two equations Y=a+bX or Y=bX; including zero (the blank reading) as one of the standards, was between 0 - 8ppm. total Iron. The accuracy of the method was measured by calculating percentage recovery of 10 μg Iron (II+III) added to samples of Iron-Drugs after dissolution with 0.1 MHCl. The error did not exceed 5% with Coefficient of Variation between 2.5 - 3.3% Paired Comparison by t-test between two calibration curves showed no significant difference at 95% confidence limit.
- J. Ruzicka and E.H.Hansen, Anal. Chim. Acta, (1975) 78, 145.
- F.M.Najib, Iraqi Journal of Chemistry, (1995) 20(1), 138.
- G. Y. Matti, F.M.Najib and M.A. Muhsen, Sent for Publication.
- S. Kozuka, K.Saito, K.Oguma and R.Kuroda; Analyst (1990), 115, 431.
- Y. Kanai; Analyst (1990), 115, 809.
- D.C. Goswami and H. Kalita; Analytical Abstracts (1990), 52, 1H47.
- Z. Li and Q.Xu; Analytical Abstracts (1990), 52,3B97.
- F.M. Najib, This Journal.
- G.H.Jeffery, J. Bassett, J.Mendham and R.C.Donney; Vogel's Textbook of Quantitative Chemical Analysis (1989), 5th Edition, page 457.
- R. Caulcutt and R. Boddy; Statistics for Analytial Chemists (1989) Chapman and Hall Chapter 7.
Copyright (c) 1999 Fadhil M. Najib, Arian Rafiq
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.