Geotechnical Properties of Certain Iraqi Carbonate Rocks
Keywords:Rock Mechanic, Limestone, Physice71 PronertiesDamask hbopertii Petrograph, Water Saturation
Petrography and some geotechnical ail properth properties of certain Iraqi carbonate rocks belonging to (8) geologic formations from (10) locations, were studied in lab. The influence of petrography and water saturation on the engineering properties was investigated, Correlation between different physical and mechanical properties was achieved. Finally a proposed engineering classification based on (bulkidensity, compressional wave velocity. dynamic modulus of elasticity. uniaxial comparative strength and brazillian tensile strength) for the studied rocks was established it is concluded that ti e studied carbonate rocks can be !divided thy groups according to shay physical and mechanical propertiest they are r u strength, medium to high strength (4.1- low to medium strength) rocks.
- El- Rawi, N.M." Cormiation of properties of Iraqi limestone.", Highway Research Rec,, 1973, 447, 25-32.
- Fattohi, Z.R. and yousel. St," Mathematical modeling of the physical properties for certain Iraqi rock type", Iraqi coqf On Eng. Ice. Univ. Baghdad, Iraq, 1985, 339-344.
- Al- Mandawi, S.K.." Effect of specimen size and water saturation on strength properties ofieribe limestone", M.Sc. Thesis, Mosul univ., 1985,164.
- Al- Asade, A.A," Engineering geological study of basement rocks of suggested location of Rawa hydro- electric power station" M.Sc. Thesis, aghdad univ. 1996, 1-141 (In Arabic).
- Dhanoon, Aft & Jubouri, Geotechnical properties of limestone utilized for construction purposes in Nainava kalovemorate, Iraq", Iraqi Geol. I 1997. 30(2), 37-46. On Arabic).
- Mann, Rt. & Fata "Effect of pore fluids on the elastic properties of Sandstone.", Geophysics, 1960, xxv(2), 433- 444.
-Ali S.S "Rock mechanic study of Evaporite rocks in Ai-Fatha formation beneath the foundation of Saddam Dam", Msc. Thesis, Mosul univ., 1987 1-182. an Arabic).
- ASTM, "Test methods for elastic me. Ile of intact rock CO.re specimens in. uniaxial compression". Annual book for .ASIN standards 1980, part .80- Designation 3 I 48-8u, 484-48
- ASTM, "Laboratory determination of pulse velocities ;Ind nitrasonic elastic constants of rock", Annual book for AS RIctan }are' . 1983, part 83- Designation 284543, .445- 450.
- ISRM. "Suggested methods for detezmining the uniaxiial compressive strength, and deformability of rock materials",1 Isp i cernitte on standardization of lab tests, Int Rock mechanic and Min Sc' ,, 1979, 6, 1 ;-140.
- ISRM. "Suggested methods 14,711 determinin,7 tensile st .-ength of rock matt klub". ISSN committee on standardization oiT tab test Intl J 20, k mochanic and Mitt Scirs * 1978, 15, 101-103.
I 2- Dunham, R.J." Classification of carbonate roc '3 according to depositional te..• ure's in: Ham, WtE„ed,„ classification of !;:arbonate rocks' ..AAPC, 1962 publ. Memoir 1 Tulsa, Oklahoma, 108-121
- Folk, RI.. "Spectral sub divisiva of limestone types', In: W.E.,ed., classification of carbonate rocks; AALPG. 1, 962, pub!. Memoir i Tulsa, Oklahoma, 102- 121.
- Tonnay opas, 12 " Qualtiy assurance of carbonate construction materials in lower southern Thailand ", 3 "Pia/Iona/ convention on civil Engineering ,1997.
- AL-lassarts and Hawkins „kW, "Geotechnical pmperties of the carboniferous Limestone of the Bristol area, the Influence of petrography and ehemistry"„ e international rock: meek conferences; ASintreena I 979, 3-13.
- Ibrahim, HM & WanastRA., " A pr-4dicted land. subsidence 1:tazard at EL sh-orouk New city,. Egypt." 9" International conference on the Geology of the Arch World, 2000, Cairo university.
- Rodrigues, J.D..." Proposed classification of cash 'nab! reeks based on Portuguese Algerian examples". Eng 'Geology I 938, 25,3.3-34.
- Kni. .A4, Sen. Z and Saddagah, B. E., " Relatioas.hip tetween sonic pulse velocity, and uniaxial compressive strength of rocks," 2, t S ymp Rock mech.,,, 1983, 409419.
- Inoue, M. & ohomi, " Relation between uniaxidC compressive strength and elastic wave velocity of soft rock.", Proceedings (Om Symp. On weak rocks. 1981, Tokyo. 9-13.
- Burifkani M.L1 " The Geotechnicat Logging oi i•iiitha rocks in Hammam AL Nineva.;"„ M.S.C. Thesis.. Mosul. unv., 1987,1167.
- Flugman„ R ut. and Friedman, M„, Effect of liokituire nd composition on mechanical 'behavior of Experimentally .defornii:d earbonatc rocks," A.A. P.G., 1979, 63(9)3478- 14894
- MichaIopouIos AIP & Thandald idis, GE. Influence of water on hardness, strength and compressibilitytt I" rock." Bult ofthf assoc. of Eng •Geology,1976. (1)17.
- Hamdi, MA " Relationship between mechanical and dynamic properfies, of Many limestone and the influence of depth, beneath the foundation of Saddam Dam."' Unpublished paper, 1987., submitted to Saddam Dam Project.
- Koefoed. Or, oostenteld, MOM. & Mons, L, J. A laboratory Investigation into the elastic properties of limestone", Geophysica fprosp., 1963., 2(3),300-3.1 2.
Copyright (c) 2001 Salahalddin Saeed Ali
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.