Digital Modulation Classification Using Wavelet Transform and Artificial Neural Network

Authors

  • Fatima K. Faek College of Engineering, Salahaddin University, Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq. Author

DOI:

https://doi.org/10.17656/jzs.10211

Keywords:

Digital modulation classification, Discrete Wavelet Transform (DWT), Artificial Neural Network (ANN), modulation recognition

Abstract

Received signals contain a vast amount of uncertainty due to the unknown modulating signals, communication channel, and noise. Therefore the modulation classification problem has to be approached based on artificial neural networks . In this work a digital modulation classification method is presented, based on discrete wavelet transform (DWT) and artificial neural networks (ANN) to distinguish digital modulation, like quadrature amplitude (QAM), phase shift keying (PSK), and frequency shift keying (FSK) signals. Feature extraction is performed via the DWT detail coefficients of the digital signals using (db4) mother wavelet, because of the usefulness of wavelet in signal de-noising . The extracted features are presented to an ANN for pattern recognition. In this work Levenberg- Marquardt error back propagation algorithm is used since it appears to be the fastest method for training moderate-sized feed forward neural networks (up to several hundred weights).The performance of the classification scheme is investigated through simulations using matlab-7, high recognition rates are obtained of about (97%). However, there are probabilities of misclassification of about (3%).

References

Yang Y. and Soliman S.S., 'Statistical Moments Based Classifier for MPSK Signals',Proceedings of GLOBECOM ', December 1991,1,72-76.

Nandi A.K. and Azzouz E.E. , 'Algorithms for automatic modulation recognition of communication signals', IEEE Transaction on communications,1998,4,431-436. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/26.664294

Tou J.T. and Gonzales R.C.,' Pattern Recognition Principles', Addison-Wesley,1974.

Kavalov D.,'Improved noise characteristics of a saw Artificial Neural Network RF signal processor for modulation recognition', IEEE Ultrasonic Symposium,2001 ,1922.

Kremers S.C., & Shiels J. 'A testbed for Automatic modulation recognition using Artificial Neural Networks',CCECE'97, 1997,67-70.

Habib ,'Introduction of wavelet' , IEEE Transaction on communications, 1995 , 879885 .

Hoffman A.J. , Tollig C.J.A., 'The Application of Classification Wavelet Networks to the Recognition of Transient Signals'. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, 1999,407-410 .

Rice B.F. "Automatic Signal Classification", Lockheed Martin Space System,

Denver, Colorado , USA, (1997).

Chan Y. T., Wavelet Basics, Kluwer Academic Publishers,1995. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4615-2213-3

Prakasam P., and Madheswarw M., 'Automatic modulation identification of QPSK and GMSK using wavelet transform for adaptive demodulator in SDR', In proceedings of the international conference on signal processing communications and networking' (ICSCN'07), Chennai, India, 2007, 507-511. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1109/ICSCN.2007.350651

Pavli R., 'Binary PSK/GPFSK and MSK band pass modulation identifier based on the complex Shannon wavelet transform', Journal of Electrical Engineering, 2005,56(3-4),71-77.

Prakasam P. Madheswaran and M. ‘Digital Modulation identification model using wavelet transform and statistical parameters’, Journal of Computer Systems, Networks, and Communications, January 2008, 2008(6). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1155/2008/175236

Zhao F., Hu Y.and SH.,Hao, ’Classification using wavelet packet decomposition and support vector machine for digital modulation’, Journal of system Engineering and Electronics, August 2009,19,914-918. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S1004-4132(08)60174-7

Published

2009-03-04

How to Cite

Digital Modulation Classification Using Wavelet Transform and Artificial Neural Network. (2009). Journal of Zankoy Sulaimani - Part A, 13(1), 59-70. https://doi.org/10.17656/jzs.10211

Most read articles by the same author(s)