Effect of Surface Roughness on Adhesive Bonding of Aluminum AA3105-H12 with oxygen-free High conductivity Copper C10200
Keywords:Adhesive bonding, Surface roughness, Shear bond strength
AbstractThe effect of 4 different surface roughnesses with 4 different assembling cases on shear bond strength of bonding Aluminum AA3105-H12 with oxygen-free High Conductivity Copper C10200 was examined. The results demonstrated that the highest shear bond strengths with the highest surface roughness were obtained, and then decreases with the increasing of the value of emery paper grade. The result of bonding similar specimens shows that the Aluminum specimens recoded the highest shear bond strength (13.8 MPa at emery paper grade ASTM 400) than the OFHC Copper specimens (10.33 MPa at emery paper grade ASTM 400). The result of bonding dissimilar specimens recoded that the group (Al-Cu-Al) has the highest shear bond strength (12.33 MPa at emery paper grade ASTM 400) than the group (Cu-Al-Cu) which has (6.02 MPa at emery paper grade ASTM 400). And that shows that the shear bond strength varied with the metals used. However, the shear bond strength value varied with the type of metals used and the surface roughness.
- Müller M. "Influence of surface integrity on bonding process" Res. Agr. Eng., (2011), Vol. 57, 153-162.
- Müller M., Hrabě P., Chotěborský R., Herák D. “Evaluation of factors influencing adhesive bond strength” Journal of RES. AGR. ENG., (2006), Vol. 52, 30–37.
- BU Zachrisson, T. Bu¨yu¨kyilmaz “Recent advances in bonding to gold, amalgam and porcelain”. Journal of Clin Orthod, number 27, (1993), 661-665.
- I. Gillis, M. Redlich “The effect of different porcelain conditioning techniques on shear bond strength of stainless steel brackets” Am Journal of Orthod Dentofacial Orthop, number 114, (1998) 387-393.
- A. Peutzfeldt, E. Asmussen “Evaluation of a new method of bonding composite resin to metal”. Journal of Scand Dent Res, number 96, (1988), 171-174.
- NHJ Creugers, PR Welle, MMA Vrijhoef. “For bonding systems for resin retained cast metal prostheses”. Journal of Dent Mater, number 4, (1988), 85-90.
- Ayrilmis Nadir and Winandy Jerrold E “Effect of post heat treatment on surface characteristics and adhesive bonding performance of medium density fiberboard”. Journal of Materials and Manufacturing process, number 24, (2009), 594-599.
- Nergiz Ibrahim, DMD, Schmage Petra, DMD, Herrmann Wolfram, DMD, and Mutlu O¨ zcan, DMD. “Effect of alloy type and surface conditioning on roughness and bond strength of metal brackets” Journal of American Journal of Orthodontics and Dent facial Orthopedics, Vol. 125, number 1, (January 2004), 42-50.
- M. Soltan Ali Nazhad and A. Haerian Ardakani, , “A study of joint quality of aluminum and low carbon steel strips by warm rolling”, Journal of science direct – materials and design, Vol.30, Issue 4, (April 2009), 1103 – 1109.
- Kahraman Ramazan, Sunar Mehmet and Yibas Bekir “Influence of adhesive thickness and filler content on the mechanical performance of aluminum single – lap joints bonded with aluminum powder filled epoxy adhesive”. Journal of materials processing technology, Vol. 205, (2008), 183-189.
- Bolton W., “Engineering Materials”, 2nd edition, (1999), 64 – 68.
- MÜLLER Miroslav, HRABĚ Petr, BROŽEK Milan, CHOTĚBORSKÝ Rostislav “Influence of lapped length on adhesive bond strength”, International conference on economic engineering and manufacturing systems bravos. (October 25-26/ 2007), Czech Republic, 536-539.
Copyright (c) 2013 Darya Sarwar M. Salih
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.